Updated Nov. 13, 2013
(let me know if soundfiles don't work)
Click the link for RECORDINGS THAT WE HAVE MADE
FOR THE FALL SEMESTER (these will open in a new tab in your browser)
- Amazing Grace accompaniment - 4 measure intro. 3 choruses. First just listen to the chord changes. Then play the melody. Try improvising over the changes.
- Amazing Grace example with improvisation: melody 1x, improvisation 2-3x
- Beguine - this is a pretty good YouTube High School performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25oY7IBp_c
And a second Beguine from YouTube, this time a college performance from the 80s. It is cleaner and interesting to watch the players (if you don't get sea sick from the back and forth of the camera person!), but I like the spirit of the HS version better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9hT8smMHz4
- Holst - Kevin sent this YouTube version, saying that he loved how organic it felt. It is the US Marine Band with Frederick Fennel. You can't get a much better combination that that!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbP6qpI1YI
- Cluster - A pretty good YouTube recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZiuXqYEUU
- Guys & Dolls - No demo recording available, but here is a band playing our arrangement. This is a British band and they have a nice sound and get the nuances. Enjoy! (Be sure to get the original musical numbers, too, so that you know the words to the songs and can understand the emotions. We will have a movie night in the fall and watch it, or watch it on your own.) One of the great Broadway musicals of all times... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS9Oi81-dZk
KEEP THESE IN THE FOLDER
- America the Beautiful - a gorgeous version.... (sorry that it cuts of abruptly at the end!)
- Beatles - follow the link for the demo. It is only a partial recording, though. Or you can play along with a YouTube performance at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGN9DCfTngU. Not the best performance (it is a middle school, after all!) but it is decent and will give you a feel for the piece.
- GodBlessAm - This is the recording of the new version, from our May 2013 concert -- it is too fast, but otherwise, pretty good!
- Johnny - This is the recording from the Cape Concert. Also find the original by Chuck Berry to get a flavor of the piece in case you don't know it.
- Lassus - this is our May 2012 concert recording
- Yankee / Chester - also our July 4 rehearsal recording
- Greasy - this is a recording of my kids a few years ago - Some messiness and they don't get the subtleties (it was a, "we have 2 weeks before the concert - let's put this together...") But, you can play along and get a sense of the piece! It is an old piece and no longer in print and there are no YouTube renditions (there are some of the same title, but a different piece).
CONCERT, MAY 4, 2013